After the Great Schism of the Christian Churches in 1054, the mission of the Roman Catholic Church on the territory of Belgrade continued throughout the Middle Ages. The existence of Catholic monastic orders on the territory of Belgrade was noted in the late Middle Ages, but the massive expansion of the Catholic Church and their construction is connected to the 18th century and the Austrian rule of Belgrade. A number of churches were built between 1717 and 1739. This was conditioned by the arrival of the German population and Catholic monastic orders in Belgrade after the victory of Austria over the Turkish Empire in 1718. The goal at that time was to spread the influence of the Roman Catholic Church as much as possible. At this time, the Catholic Church Administration was also organized. After the Austrian army was defeated by the Turks in 1739, a large part of the Catholic population left Serbia. At the beginning of the 19th century, a small number of Catholics were recorded in Serbia, but in the time of Miloš Obrenović, they immigrated again. A new wave of their settlement begins with the emergence of the Kingdom of SCS.
On the territory of Serbia, the Roman Catholic Church is organized into one archdiocese and four dioceses of the Latin rite. The Roman Catholic churches located in Belgrade are mostly under the administration of the Belgrade Archdiocese, and few are also under the administration of the Zrenjanin Church (churches in Borča, Surčin, Zemun). There are six Roman Catholic churches in Belgrade, and the cathedral church is the Church of the Assumption of Mary.
Various evangelical churches also operated within the Western Christian churches in Belgrade.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHES
The Belgrade Archdiocese has 6 churches in the city. Three churches are located in Zemun, and they belong to the Srem Archdiocese.
ARCHDIOCESE OF BELGRADE
Although the Belgrade diocese has been active since the earliest Christian times, in 1914 Belgrade became the seat of the archdiocese for the territory of Serbia without Vojvodina and Raska.
In Belgrade, throughout history until today, there have been several evangelical churches.
Written by Ana Serafijanović